Paris Hilton can’t catch a break. After pleading guilty Monday to two misdemeanors in her Las Vegas cocaine case, Japanese officials have delayed Hilton’s entry into the country, the socialite’s spokeswoman said. The 29-year-old star was stopped by immigration authorities, who are considering refusing Hilton entry into Japan because of her drug charges and sentence.
She was scheduled to appear at a news conference in Tokyo on Wednesday to promote her fashion line, but that appearance was apparently canceled. Hilton was forced to cancel her tour and returned home when she was denied entry at Tokyo’s airport Wednesday following a drug violation in the U.S. — running afoul of strict Japanese laws that have tripped up celebrities from Paul McCartney to Diego Maradona.
“I’m going back home, and I look forward to coming back to Japan in the future,” a smiling Hilton told reporters before departing on her private jet. The trip had been planned before Hilton’s arrest last month in Las Vegas after an officer found a small amount of cocaine in her purse. She pleaded guilty Monday to drug possession and obstructing an officer and was placed on informal probation for one year.
The terms of her sentence did not restrict travel overseas.
Her publicist, Dawn Miller, said Hilton plans to make the trips at a later date.
“Paris is very disappointed and fought hard to keep her business commitments and see her fans, but she is forced to postpone her commitments in Asia,” she said in a statement. “Paris understands and respects the rules and laws of the immigration authorities in Japan and fully wishes to cooperate with them.”
On Monday, Hilton pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor charges stemming from her arrest for drug possession last month at a Las Vegas hotel-casino. Hilton will serve a year of probation and must complete a drug abuse program, pay a $2,000 fine and serve 200 hours of community service.