Dominique Strauss-Kahn Freed Without Bail By Judge.
NEW YORK — Former IMF leader Dominique Strauss-Kahn walked out of court without bail and free from house arrest Friday after prosecutors acknowledged there were questions about the credibility of the hotel housekeeper who accused him of sexual assault.
Strauss-Kahn had been confined for weeks to a ritzy Manhattan loft on $6 million in cash and bond. The charges, which include attempted rape, have not been reduced, but the changes signal that prosecutors do not believe the accusations are as ironclad as they once seemed.
The 32-year-old hotel maid accused Strauss-Kahn of chasing her through his luxury suite in May, trying to pull down her pantyhose and forcing her to perform oral sex. Authorities have said they have forensic evidence of a sexual encounter, but defense lawyers have said it wasn’t forced.
"It is a great relief," said Strauss-Kahn’s attorney, William Taylor. "It is so important in this country that people, especially the media, refrain from judgment until the facts are all in."
After his arrest, Strauss-Kahn resigned from his post leading the International Monetary Fund and watched his presidential ambitions seemingly crumble.
The stark turn in the case came after the woman admitted to prosecutors she had made up a story of being gang raped and beaten in her homeland to enhance her application for political asylum, prosecutors said in a letter to defense lawyers.
She also misrepresented what she did after the alleged attack – instead of fleeing to a hallway and waiting for a supervisor, she went to clean another room and then returned to clean Strauss-Kahn’s suite before telling her supervisor that she had been attacked, prosecutors said.
She also misrepresented her income and claimed someone else’s child as her own dependent on tax returns, they said.
The details speak to the maid’s credibility and whether her story would stand up under oath in a prosecution that would rely heavily on her testimony.